Find answers and learn more about Smart Balance® products.
- What makes Smart Balance trans fat free?
There are three key ways to avoid trans fats in spreads: 1) Lowering fat content to limit trans fats to less than one-half gram per serving, thereby qualifying to claim zero trans fat content per serving; 2) Full hydrogenation and interesterification, two separate chemical processes using heated oil with a metal catalyst, which saturate the fat with hydrogen so that trans fats can’t be formed; and 3) Use of natural saturates in place of partial hydrogenation or full hydrogenation and interesterification. Smart Balance uses natural saturates (palm fruit oil) and balances it with polyunsaturates from soy and canola oils. This comprises the patented Smart Balance blend that we believe to be superior to other methods of avoiding trans fatty acids.
- How long can I keep my Smart Balance spreads out of the refrigerator?
Smart Balance Buttery Spreads can remain at room temperature up to five hours.
- Why do your products have saturated fats?
Palm fruit oil is a key ingredient in the natural oil blend we use in our spreads because it allows Smart Balance products to maintain a spreadable consistency without using chemically modified fats or adding trans fat.
- Do Smart Balance products contain trans fat?
Smart Balance Buttery Spreads are made with a patented blend of oils that has the lowest level of trans fat that nature allows among the leading brands of margarine and spreads. Our spreads contain only naturally occurring levels of trans fat—no trace of artificial trans fat. This is important because research has shown that trans fat is even more damaging than saturated fat. Trans fat generally raises “bad” LDL cholesterol and lowers “good” HDL cholesterol, and we want the opposite result: higher HDL and lower LDL. (See U.S. patents 5,578,334; 5,843,497, and 6,630,192.)
- Are Smart Balance Milks pasteurized?
Yes, we pasteurize our milks for a short time at Ultra High Temperature (UHT). This process kills more bacteria and gives the product a longer shelf life as long as it remains unopened and refrigerated. Once you open the container, we recommend that you use the milk within seven days.
- Which Smart Balance products are gluten free?
All Smart Balance products are gluten free.
- Which Smart Balance products are kosher?
All Smart Balance products are Orthodox Union Kosher-certified. All products are Parve with the exception of Spreadable Butters and Buttery Burst Spray. Please review individual product labels for specifics.
- Do you ship Smart Balance products directly to consumers?
We do not ship Smart Balance products directly to consumers.
- Are your products available in Canada?
Smart Balance products are not currently available in Canada.
- How long will Smart Balance products stay fresh?
As long as they are stored properly, all Smart Balance products are guaranteed fresh if used by the “best by” date printed on every container.
- Can I freeze Smart Balance Buttery Spreads?
Most Smart Balance Buttery Spreads can be frozen until the “best by” date printed on the packages. Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread varieties should not be frozen due to their lower fat content.
- Where can I find my favorite Smart Balance products?
It’s easy to find retailers that stock Smart Balance products with our Product Locator. Select the Smart Balance product you’re looking for and enter your zip code. A list of stores, including addresses and phone numbers, will appear. Most of our products are available in all 50 states.
- How do Smart Balance Buttery Spreads help to improve my cholesterol ratio?
Researchers at Brandeis University have discovered that the right blend of fats can help support healthy cholesterol levels that are already within normal limits by improving the ratio of “good” HDL to “bad” LDL when at least two-thirds of fat intake comes from our buttery spreads or the Smart Balance Food Plan. Only Smart Balance uses this special, patented blend of natural oils in its products. Please note that you should limit total fat to 30% of calories and saturated fats to 10% of calories and limit cholesterol to 300 mg per day. You should also aim to avoid foods with partially hydrogenated oil and exercise regularly.
- Where can I find recipes?
Visit our Recipe Section to find a range of ideas for delicious, nutritious dishes for every meal of the day. You’ll find our recipes from the Smart Balance Food Plan, as well as recipes sent to us by people who use and love Smart Balance products. Remember, you can easily modify a favorite recipe by substituting Smart Balance Buttery Spreads for butter or margarine. Bon appétit!
- How can I order a copy of the Smart Balance Food Plan?
- Do Smart Balance Buttery Spreads contain cholesterol?
Smart Balance Buttery Spreads are free of dietary cholesterol. Please see nutrition information on each product label for fat and saturated fat content.
- Can I use Smart Balance Buttery Spreads in my recipes that call for butter?
Yes, you can substitute regular Smart Balance Buttery Spreads and Better Butters for butter or margarine in exactly the same amounts called for in your recipes. Please note that due to lower fat content, our “Light” varieties of buttery spreads are not intended for cooking or baking and should be used only as spreads.
- Which Smart Balance products are dairy free/lactose free?
Enjoy all of these dairy free/lactose free products:
- Smart Balance Original
- Smart Balance Omega-3
- Smart Balance Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Smart Balance Low Sodium
- Smart Balance Light with Flaxseed Oil
- Smart Balance Organic
- Smart Balance Light Omega-3
- Smart Balance Non-Stick Cooking Spray - Original
- Smart Balance Cooking Oil
- Smart Balance Rich Roast Chunky Peanut Butter and Omega-3s from Flaxseed Oil
- Smart Balance Rich Roast Creamy Peanut Butter and Omega-3s from Flaxseed Oil