By Sidra Forman
Find me a person who doesn’t love macaroni and cheese…it’s hard, right? This is a healthier recipe that eaters of all ages will love! The creaminess of the cauliflower puree allows for a very rich tasting dish despite a small amount of cheese. The result is a heart-healthier, low-cholesterol recipe. Enjoy!
Macaroni and Cheese
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
½ lb whole-grain macaroni
2 cups chopped cauliflower
4 oz grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
½ tsp mustard powder
1/8 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup whole-grain breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2.Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
3. Place cauliflower in a medium-sized pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Drain cauliflower, reserving ½ cup of cooking water. Puree cauliflower,
cooking water, mustard powder and salt in a blender until very smooth, about 1 minute.
5. Add cheese to hot cauliflower mixture and blend for 20 seconds.
6. Combine the macaroni and cauliflower mixture and mix well. Transfer mixture to a 9-inch oven-proof skillet. Top with black pepper and breadcrumbs.
7. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn oven to a broil and cook until top is browned, about 5 minutes, serve immediately.
More Articles You May Find Interesting
By Sidra Forman One of my objectives for my recipes in this blog (and at home) is to use whole grains where they are not traditionally used. So when I saw a request in the community...
Go for healthier butter alternatives. Vegetable-oil spreads can give you the taste of butter without the extra heart-clogging fat, dietary cholesterol and extra calories. (Compare Smart Balance® Buttery Spread*) Just be sure to check the...
By: Stephanie Clarke, R.D., and Willow Jarosh, R.D. Q: What are some heart-healthy and filling breakfast ideas, other than plain old oatmeal? A: Rise and dine! Starting your day with a heart-healthy breakfast can set you on the...