Want to know if your diet meets the Smart Balance™ Food Plan criteria?
Our research has shown that by following the six steps below, which emphasize a relative balance of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, you’ll support healthy cholesterol levels by improving the ratio of “good” HDL cholesterol to “bad” LDL cholesterol. Here are the guidelines for our Food Plan. See how your diet stacks up!
6 steps to a Healthier Balanced Fat Diet
- At least 2/3 of fat must come from balanced fat products or this Food Plan
- Limit total fat to about 30% of calories (65g per day)
- Limit saturated fat to 10% of calories (20g per day)
- Limit dietary cholesterol to average 300mg or less per day
- Avoid trans fat
- Exercise regularly
- Eat enough calories to maintain a healthy weight. The Food Plan provides a daily average of about 1,900 calories. Adjust your portion sizes if your calorie needs are more than or less than this amount.
- Sodium should be 600mg or less per meal.
- It is recommended to have a daily intake of 800mg to 2g of plant sterols each day.