By Sidra Forman
Traditionally asparagus is served steamed with a heavy sauce. My favorite update to this dish that I think tastes superior and is more healthful? A quick roast at a high temperature and seasoning with fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon. Even though it’s possible to buy asparagus throughout much of the year, right now this veggie is at its best. Try my version and let me know what you think.
Roasted Asparagus with Herbs and Lemon
1 lb fresh asparagus
Smart Balance® Omega Non-Stick Cooking Spray
¼ tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh herbs such as basil,
parsley or sorrel
½ fresh lemon
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Clean asparagus by snapping the stems (simply bend the spear and allow it to break naturally.
3. Place asparagus on a sheet tray and lightly coat with the spray.
4. Roast in the oven until just tender, 4 to 8 minutes. The exact time will vary depending on thickness of the asparagus.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Top with herbs and squeeze lemon over the asparagus.
6. This tastes great warm, cold or at room temperature.
More Articles You May Find Interesting
By Sidra Forman Berry delicious! Fresh fruit crumbles are good any time of year, I tend to make them more often in the summer thanks to the abundance of berries. I suggest whipping them up with whatever...
By: Stephanie Clarke, R.D., and Willow Jarosh, R.D. Q: What are some heart-healthy and filling breakfast ideas, other than plain old oatmeal? A: Rise and dine! Starting your day with a heart-healthy breakfast can set you on the...
By Liz Krieger There’s that old joke that asks where a 200-ton elephant sits. (Anywhere he wants, of course!) Well, in a similarly obvious manner comes this week’s cooking adventure. What do you do when you...